Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Potato Soup


Submitted By Shelly Stewart


In large saucepan boil:
1 finely chopped onion
2 c. chopped celery
6-7 cups cut potatoes
Water (to barely cover top)
Boil until potatoes are done.

While that is boiling, in a microwave safe container, add:
2 qts. of milk
(I use a small pitcher.)  Microwave for 10 minutes.
In a larger, separate saucepan make your roux.  On Med. heat melt:
1 c. butter then add
1 c. flour

Wisk the entire time.  When milk is done, slowly add it to your roux-it will get thick!  Turn heat to Low.

Then add:
2 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 t. pepper
4 t. chicken base (or use bullion)  I get my base from Sam’s and it is cheap and fabulous!  Personally, I think it tastes better than bullion cubes.

Now combine with your veggies.  I use a measuring cup so it does not splatter.  Garnish with bacon if desired.  Soup will thicken upon standing.

Yield: 14-16 servings

You can freeze leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment